What is Search Engine Optimization?
SEO is the process of getting traffic from the “free,” “organic,” “editorial” or “natural” search results on search engines. Search engine optimization (SEO) is the practice of increasing the quantity and quality of traffic to your website through organic search engine results.
SEO may target different kinds of search, including image search, video search, academic search, news search, and industry-specific vertical search engines. SEO differs from local search engine optimization in that the latter is focused on optimizing a business’ online presence so that its web pages will be displayed by search engines when a user enters a local search for its products or services. The former instead is more focused on national or international searches.
In general, the earlier (or higher ranked on the search results page), and more frequently a website appears in the search results list, the more visitors it will receive from the search engine’s users; these visitors can then be converted into customers.
In today’s competitive market, SEO marketing is more important than ever. Search engines serve millions of users per day looking for answers to their questions or for solutions to their problems.It targets organic search results of the web.If you have a website, blog or online store, SEO can help your business grow and meet the business objectives.
- The majority of search engine’s users will click on one of the top 5 search results in the results pages (SERPS), so to take advantage of this and gain visitors to your web site or customers to your online store you need to be in the one of the top positions.
- SEO is not only about search engines but good SEO practices improve the user experience and usability of a web site.
- Users trust search engines and having a presence in the top positions for the keywords the user is searching, increases the web site’s trust.
- SEO is good for the social promotion of your web site. People who find your website by searching Google or Yahoo will most probably promote it on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or other social media channels.
- SEO is important for the smooth running of a website. Websites with more than one author can benefit from SEO in a direct and indirect way. Their direct benefit is increase in search engine traffic and their indirect benefit is having a common framework to use before publishing content on the site.
- SEO can put you ahead of the competition. If two websites are selling the same thing, the search engine optimized website is more likely to have more customers and make more sales.